Bush must convince many more, including U.N., before invading

There are many opinions being thrown around with regard to the escalating Iraq crisis.-áI happen to possess one more.-á Right now, President George W. Bush is trying to persuade Congress and the international community to support his effort in overthrowing Saddam Hussein. The first task Bush needs to accomplish is to convince his colleagues in Congress that there is sufficient evidence to invade Iraq. Last week the Bush administration began to argue their side in front of Congressional leaders.-áIt is not necessary for Bush to go through with the process of seeking Congress' approval, being the commander-in-chief of the military; Bush has the authority to send troops into foreign land on his own accord.-á Without congressional support, however, his arguments will hold no merit in front of an international community. As of right now, the administration has a long way to go before they convince Congress.-á

-áAn invasion of Iraq would need to be a very large force. Vice President Richard Cheney said Sunday on Meet the Press that military action would be quick and decisive. It is hard to believe that military action in a structured country such as Iraq would be so easy.-á Cheney compared the mission to the mission in Afghanistan.-á The Afghan military action was nothing like a mission in Iraq would have to be.-áAfghanistan is a small, decentralized nation with no social structure.-á Afghanistan has no exports or source of income, except for opium and sheep-related exports.-á Afghanistan had no military force except for scattered guerilla forces.-áIraq is a desert country with comparable size to Afghanistan.-áIraq, however, is a very wealthy country with a stable government system and elected officials.-áTheir military is very well trained and strong.-áThey would provide considerable problems to any attack force entering the country.

For the US to go into Iraq, they would need the support of the international community.-áRight now, there is very limited support from even our traditional allies.-áBritain is the only country that has had a strong favorable response to Bush's plan.-á Bush plans to argue his case before the UN General Assembly on Thursday in an attempt to receive the UN's support.-áHe needs a UN Security Council vote of support for countries besides strong US allies to put themselves behind his plan. Military action in Iraq would require the support of Iraq's neighboring countries. The Gulf War in the early 1990s would not have been as successful without the use of Saudi Arabian air bases. It is probable that the US would receive limited support from Kuwait, but Kuwait is a small country and could not provide much help. Other countries would surely follow a resolution passed by the Security Council and if Bush gets the support of the UN, the situation would be a whole new story. Until then, any invasion or military action against Iraq would be quickly condemned by the rest of the world, especially by countries in the Arab world who have said that an attack on Iraq would be an attack on all.