Letter to the editor: Boots won't eliminate cars from being towed

Dear editor:

For the sake of accuracy, April 9's Daily News front-page headline should have read "New parking policy postpones towing" instead of "replaces."

The plan to lock vehicles into place with tire boots when five tickets or $50 in fines have accumulated delays towing but doesn't eliminate it. If the violator's fines are not paid in full within eight hours, his or her car will still be towed.

Although this is explained in the article, the headline is misleading. The related opinion page editorial's calling this new policy "helpful" could also be misinterpreted.

Although the boots will give drivers an eight-hour reprieve from paying an off-campus towing service, this policy is actually most helpful with University Parking Services promptly collecting their fines.

Plus, that's up to eight hours a booted vehicle remains in a coveted parking space - just one less legal space for frenzied campus drivers and thus another potential ticket.

University Police Department & Parking Services also claim their plan to change many faculty/staff lots to reserved next fall was designed to distribute zones "more equally" across campus, and that forcing employees into buying expensive reserved permits was not their intent.

Must be just a lucky coincidence.

Rob Landfert
residence hall custodian