Film shows college transition

Filmmaker Kevin Murphy's film to be shown this weekend.

Going away to college can be a tough transition, but for Ryan Wyld, of student filmmaker Kevin Murphy's "Ambivalence," it was hell.

The 50-minute picture was filmed and set on Ball State's campus. Another location featured is Little Flower Catholic Church in Indianapolis, where Murphy went to grade school.

"Ambivalence" will be shown at 7 p.m. Saturday in Pruis Hall.

During the Thanksgiving interim of his freshman year, Ryan, played by Philip Michael Brooks, faced the death of his mother. Carol Lee Murphy, mother of Ryan Murphy, plays the dying parent. Because of a lack of family finances, he was unable to go home for the funeral.

About a year after the death of his mother, Ryan begins having recurring dreams from his childhood. Over time his dream world takes over reality, and it becomes difficult for him to distinguish between real life and dreams.

"I love dreams," said Murphy, a sophomore telecommunications major. "Our dreams are not something we can control. I asked myself why we dream what we dream, and it developed from there."

Murphy previewed his film to 15 students from one of his classes and said he received good response from the group.

"They seemed to really like it," Murphy said. "They enjoyed the fact that it was physically scary but not blood and guts."

Because the movie was filmed on campus, primarily at LaFallotte Complex and Bracken Library, Murphy tried to shoot his film from different angles that would make the campus appear different than the way it is really set up.

"I hope people will like the movie," Murphy said. "It's just entertainment. I hope I scare you a little. I hope I make you laugh a little bit, but I also hope to freak you out a little."

Murphy sees writing as an adventure or an escape. He said he could not imagine doing anything else.

"I want to be a storyteller," he said. "I want to take people someplace they've never seen before and allow them to escape."

Also seen in "Ambivalence" are Amy Hendrickson, Matt Hickman and Lynn Downey.

After the premiere of "Ambivalence," "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone" will be shown at 9:30.