Student I.D. cards yield discounts

Entertainment venues are especially popular draws for reduced prices.

College students are seemingly always looking for ways to have fun at a low cost. They may not realize, however, that a student I.D. card can yield several discounts.

Many entertainment venues around Muncie offer their services at a lower price to college students with an I.D. Both local movie theaters, Northwest Plaza Cinema and Show Place 7, offer a reduced student ticket for movies. Several of the local bowling allies also have lower rates.

Manager Brad Hochstedler of ShowPlace 7, 3401 W. Community Drive, said the movie theater offers the discount because of the large amount of students in Muncie, and he said it's a good draw to bring in business.

As well as the several entertainment venues that offer student discounts, there are also many cultural venues that offer student rates. Minnetrista Cultural Center, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., and Muncie Center for the Arts, 520 E. Main St., are two local

"We utilize a lot of students for volunteer work, and such, and we feel it is important to allow the students to participate in any of the activities," said Cathy Hardwick of the Muncie Center for the Arts.

Many museums in Indianapolis also offer student discounts, such as Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, 500 W. Washington St., is one such location that offers a discount with an I.D.

"We recognize (college students) are going through school and they're income is low, but we still want them to come visit," said Cindy Dashnaw, director of communications at the museum.

Here at Ball State, many programs with a price to the general public offer students tickets at a discounted price, or sometimes for free. Bob Meyers, general manager at Emens Auditorium said students can obtain free tickets for its artist's series if they pick them up in advance, while tickets for the public can cost up to $40.

The Department of Theatre and Dance also offers student tickets at a lower prices. Show tickets are also discounted for faculty and staff.