Spring Break offers opportunity for philanthropic activities

As Spring Break approaches, college students across the nation gear up for a journey south.

There are, however, alternatives to the typical Florida trip many associate with Spring Break.

Students can have fun during their week off while helping the community by volunteering at local non-profit organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and American Red Cross.

According to its Web site, Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit, non-denominational, Christian housing organization. The group welcomes all people to join as they build simple, affordable housing as a way to help those who need adequate shelter.

Laura Slavin, an associate at the Greater Muncie Indiana Habitat for Humanity, said there is a great need for Ball State students.

"Ball State groups are a tremendous help," she said. "The number of students who help during the 'off-season' -- when students aren't attending Ball State -- drops dramatically.

"We build all year round, and students' help is greatly needed and appreciated throughout the year."

An article in USA Today cited some of the possibilities for helping out during Spring Break.

"Fun in the SON," a program in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, offers students a week of gospel-beach parties and street jams, along with church tours and visits to local hospitals.

Another trip offered, Global Volunteers, has students teaching conversational English, helping to landscape and paint, or caring for disabled children during their service.

This program sends students to Mississippi, Florida, Mexico, Ecuador, Ireland and Poland. The article also mentioned the programs Habitat for Humanity will host, along with the help it will receive from volunteers.

As an international program, Habitat for Humanity will be receiving help from more than 10,000 students this spring as part of Habitat for Humanity's Collegiate Challenge. This is an increase of 15 percent from last year.

Here in Muncie, Slavin hopes her group will play a big role in helping with those numbers. She urges interested people to call the office. The groups builds homes on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

There are several opportunities to travel if one is so inclined, but Habitat for Humanity has plenty of work in Muncie to keep volunteers busy, she said.

Slavin also wanted to ease the minds of anyone worried about getting hurt during their time volunteering.

"We haven't had any serious accidents," she said. "We have supervisors there to teach you the things you need to know."

Habitat is not the only organization in need of volunteers during Spring Break. The American Red Cross will also have several opportunities for help.

Gina Bradburn, executive director at the Hoosier Heartland American Red Cross, said if anyone needed opportunities to volunteer, "they're plentiful."

March is Red Cross Month, and is the group's busiest time of the year. The Red Cross hosts a large community campaign, and she said volunteers are needed at each of the events.

One such event is "Youth Infusion," one of 50 programs that will take place during the month.

"College students are a great help during Youth Infusion," she said. "We go to high schools to put on programs, and to have the high-schoolers see the college students helping out is a big influence."

Anyone who wants to find out more information can contact Student Voluntary Services at 285-1094. To personally arrange a time, call Habitat for Humanity at 286-5739 or the Red Cross at 284-3361.