Republican Write: Guantanamo detainees' treatment justified

In the past few weeks I have heard many conversations about the treatment of the detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I must admit I am perplexed at the debate of humanitarianism that exists over this issue.

Some question whether these criminals should be shackled, blindfolded and kept under such a watchful eye. This has really made people angry, and I just don't understand why. These prisoners are alive with air to breathe and food in their stomachs, which is more then can be said for their victims.

The prisoners are being held because they are all believed to have some connection with the events of Sept. 11 or are affiliated with the Al-Qaida terrorist network. These people have proved they give little regard in taking one American life, let alone many thousand.

I simply cannot believe, knowing they would kill a U.S. soldier if ever given the chance, there are people complaining the prisoners have to wear blindfolds and have shackles around their ankles. It is for the protection of our soldiers, why should this even be an issue?

There was an e-mail sent to me the other day with an article written for a newspaper in San Antonio, Texas. In the article, it outlined some things being done for the prisoners. They get three meals a day, their medical needs are taken care of, and they are kept out of the fighting in Afghanistan, too.

There are people in this country, even in Muncie who do not get three meals a day or any medical treatment. We provide these amenities, however, to people with known ties to those who take thousands of lives. I realize most of the detainees are not directly responsible for the attacks of Sept. 11, but many had a part in the planning of the events that day. I choose, however, to see no distinction between the two.

Why do we criticize pictures where U.S. soldiers are standing around these prisoners with their weapons in hand ready for any possible move the prisoners may make? I have heard all the bickering on this issue in the papers, on CNN, and from my friends on campus, but I have yet to hear what goes through my head when I hear these arguments.

How can we justify arguments about "humanitarianism" with people who have demonstrated they care nothing at all for human life? To me this is a slap in the face to every one who lost someone on Sept. 11, and also to every United States citizen who witnessed the horrible disregard for human life on that day.

Take all of these complaints toward prisoner treatment and put them to better use. Start asking why we clothe, feed, and treat prisoners without bias, yet we refuse the same to hard working Americans who are having a tough time. You tell me, which is more humanitarian?

Write to Justin at jtsyndram@bsu.edu