EDITORIAL: Arrests are public, not private matters

Police reports can be obtained by anyone, not just newspapers.

Newspapers are a reflection of what goes on in the public. Sometimes what happens in and around campus could be considered both good news and bad. It is the duty of the Daily News, as well as any news outlet, to report what it sees fit.

Newspapers have been perpetually devoted to the safety and welfare of their readers and communities. That is why the DN runs things like police arrest records once a week. It is everyone's right to know what is going on around them. Reporters will comb through the police logs and look for cases deemed newsworthy.

An often held misconception is journalists have special powers within police departments to obtain such records. These records seem personal to those involved, but the truth is, these documents are public record and available to anyone who seeks them.

Police logs are not just found in the Daily News. All newspapers run them along with court proceedings, foreclosure notices and obituaries.

Daily News editors and staff members have even appeared in the police log. We do not edit them just because our employees slip up. We hold ourselves to the very same standards.

The names are run with ages and addresses because of the risk of falsely associating someone with the same name to a certain crime.

It can be embarrassing for those involved, but the safety of the community at large is more important. There is one way to guarantee you will not end up in the paper - don't do the crime.