Armstead went from shy girl to leader

Head of University Computer Labs keeps watch over more than 250 students.

For someone who was once a shy girl in high school, Marchal Armstead has become a visible figure. She is now in charge of more than 250 student employees of Ball State's computer labs.

Armstead said she's always been an energetic and service-oriented person, and she uses those qualities to her advantage.

Armstead is the head of University Computer Labs at Ball State, a part of University Computing Services. She is also a Ball State alumnus.

Part of Armstead's job is to make sure computer equipment in the labs is functioning properly, that the atmosphere in the labs is one in which students can study. She is also in charge of hiring and training student employees on assorted software.

"I like working with the students and providing them the opportunity to learn while they work," she said.

Armstead said there is at least one computer lab in every academic building, and another part of her job is to make sure student employees can cover all of the hours in the labs.

She said this is one of the tougher aspects of her job.

Armstead has worked for UCL for more than 12 years. She said she was a shy person when she was in grade school but later became active in school activities.

"I don't know how I got out of my shyness, but I got out of it," she said.

In high school, Armstead studied business and was a cheerleader as well as a member of Cooperative Office Education, a club in her high school.

After graduating from high school, Armstead came to Ball State to major in marketing, but at that time she was also married and had a family.

Armstead said she worked and went to school while raising a family, and at times, she would leave school for a while and then come back later and take more classes.

Armstead said she was also a member of Phi Gamma Nu, a business fraternity on campus. She now has an associate's degree in business education office administration, a bachelor's degree in management and human resources and a master's degree in communication studies with a focus on organizational professional communication development.

Armstead is not only active in her job with UCL, but she also tries to get involved in activities around campus and teaches two classes at Ball State in addition to her job - MGT 361, management and human resources and BEOA 210, a business information systems class.

"She's always on the go," said Brian Burke, a senior who works in Robert Bell Building's first-floor lab. "It's one of those things where we get a call to see if she's here, and she's over in the next room."

Burke said Armstead is constantly running around to different labs to make sure everything is running smoothly.