SGA not supporting smoking ban

Student Government Association members voted Wednesday not to send a letter of support concerning the possible Muncie smoking ordinance to the Delaware County Commissioner.

Aside from the vote, senators had mixed views about the ordinance.

President Pro Tempore Richard McClelland saw it as a legal and economic issue.

"In our society, in Indiana and in the United States of America, there is a large distribution of tobacco and people have a right to consume that," McClelland said. "If we prohibit smoking in restaurants, tobacco might as well be against the law."

Senator Nataki Sanders offered rebuttal.

"People can still smoke in bars," Sanders said. "People can smoke outside and in their cars. It's a good thing to know we can go and eat at a restaurant without worrying about smoke."

Secretary Ashley Furnival informed senators of the bus trip March 2 to Central Michigan for the men's basketball game. Tickets are available now for $10, including lunch. Furnival said SGA covered part of the cost. The bus has 45 seats and will meet at 7:30 a.m. for the five-hour trip, she said.

Community Affairs Chairman Jeremy Wines said he would be meeting with Tom Kinghorn to discuss possible MITS transportation between Ball State and downtown Muncie.

For students who have cars, the Student Safety committee is working to pave parking lots. Chairman Jeremy Kalvaitas said legislation to pave all parking lots will be ready to vote on at the next meeting.

The committee is also actively drafting legislation to add a crosswalk from the Cowpath across Riverside Avenue toward North Quad. Kalvaitis said the committee hopes to add blinking lights and signs warning cars of pedestrians.

The Student Services committee proposed legislation to offer visitor parking passes at residence hall desks. The legislation states that each desk can offer three permits per day. Each student would have access to one pass per day and three passes for the semester.