King daughter to bring dream to Ball State

Bernice King to proceed march from LaFollette Field to Emens Auditorium.

To commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Ball State is hoping to show students how to carry on his dream.

Rev. Bernice King, the daughter of Martin Luther King Jr., will be speaking at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Emens Auditorium, following a unity march from LaFollette Field to Emens at 7 p.m.

The speech will be preceded by The Voices of Triumph Gospel Choir, an organization of minority students who sing gospel.

Attendance is free, but it is based on a first-come, first-served basis.

"A number of organizations from all views of the spectrum helped out and made contributions to make this event possible," said Derick Virgil, the director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs and chairman of the event.

Bernice King, the youngest of the four King children, is accustomed to public speaking. In 1980, at the age of 17, she spoke on behalf of her mother at the United Nations.

"When she speaks, she sounds just like him," Virgil said. "She is a minister in her own light with a powerful and awesome message. But, at the same time, she is her own person, utilizing the platform brought on by her father, and she does a great job of helping people understand each other."

Virgil said he does not know the specifics of her speech, but he said he assumed it will tie into her father's famous "I Have a Dream" speech.

Bernice King has been ordained in the Ebenezer Baptist Church and holds a bachelor's degree in psychology and a law degree. She has won many religious, community and political recognitions from various organizations.

Today, she oversees the Youth and Women's Ministry department as the assistant pastor of Greater Rising Star Baptist Church in Atlanta. She has become an advocate for helping rehabilitate troubled teens in a legal system she has worked in personally as a law clerk.

"The reason we have put this event together is to keep the campus interconnected," Virgil said. "It is important to remember we all need each other, in some shape or form."

Bernice King was invited to help celebrate the national holiday by many groups on campus, Virgil said, including Student Volunteer Services, the Residence Hall Association, and various greek affiliations.