Investigation of UPD completed

Ball State officials will meet with state police today to discuss its two-page report.

Indiana State Police released a two-page report Wednesday detailing its findings from an investigation of the Ball State University Police Department to the Delaware County Prosecutor.

Indiana State Police Superintendent Melvin Carraway and Sgt. Rod Russell, a public information officer for the state police, did not return calls Tuesday about the report.

The report's content, which was created by two Indianapolis officers, were not available.

The state's investigation commenced because of a series of allegations of misconduct that have accrued over the years. The UPD has been accused of following Director of Public Safety Joe Wehner's estranged wife and searching without a warrant the office of Eric Moore, a former officer.

According to Associate Director of University Relations Glenn Augustine, everyone at the university who should see the report has not. He said, however, university officials will be meeting with the state police today to discuss it.

Augustine also said President Blaine Brownell is in the process of appointing an eight-member advisory board to conduct a separate review of UPD.

"This is an extraordinary step - the president appointing this group," Augustine said.

Augustine said the advisory group will include people employed by the university and those from Muncie.

Once the group is assembled, it will review the information from the state police's investigation. One month after its first meeting, it will make its recommendations.

"If they recommend disciplinary action, any recommendations they make has to go through the university disciplinary process," Augustine said.

A separate comprehensive program review was formed last September to examine the policies and practices of the Department of Public Safety.

The program review includes three phases. One phase is a self-study, which includes information gathered by the university.

Focus groups comprising those who have had contact with UPD is the second phase. The third phase will include a consultation with an external expert who will make observations, review information gathered during the first two phases of the review and file a report.

The report may include recommendations for changes in the department's policies, practices and procedures.

This is a regular function of the university's student affairs division, according to Augustine.