Candidate in 2002 speaks to BSU students

Native Indiana resident opposes Mike Pence in 2002 election.

Officials have a better chance of tracking an anthrax-tainted letter than knowing from what country our food came, according to 6th Congressional District candidate Melina Fox. And she thinks it is time this issue changed, along with many other student-related issues.

Fox, the endorsed Democratic candidate, who was a farm girl as a child and has experienced both urban and city life, feels she is the best candidate for the job.

"We need people in Congress who have worked on the ground with the realities of American life," Fox said. "I know the problems we have faced because I have seen them first-hand."

Before deciding to run for office, Fox, an Indiana native, was an alcohol counselor, a substitute teacher and chairperson of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency.

Her opponent is Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind).

"She has a much better grip on young people (than Pence)," said Adam Stant, president of University Democrats. "Pence didn't live his whole life here, and I don't think he has a clue how his constituents live."

Fox addressed issues ranging from food safety to prescription costs to a small group in a question and answer form, where she sought student opinion. She said she feels young people can provide innovative ways to solve today's problems, but their voice just needs to be heard.

This is why she came to Ball State. She said if students care about issues like financial aid, taxes or even being drafted to war in Afghanistan, they should care about voting.

An issue she is especially concerned with is country-of-origin food labeling. According to Fox, when foods are imported from other countries they can pass through the Food and Drug Administration, although they may contain substances that are illegal in the United States. Only one percent of all imported food is inspected.

"Food is an issue that effects everyone from age one to age 99, " Fox said. "Everyone deserves a healthy food supply."

Fox also addressed unemployment issues and wants to make change in the cost of prescriptions, especially since many of the unemployed are without insurance.

Fox, as the first woman on the agenda in her district, said she hopes to make a big impact.

"I just pray that with whatever issues arise, I can be creative and innovative," Fox said.