Ball State wins in record fashion

Indianapolis -- IUPUI head coach Ron Hunter has seen some quality basketball teams in his eight years as a head coach. He played for a few as well. Hunter won a few Mid-American Conference championships at Miami in the mid-'80s.

But Hunter said he hasn't seen one quite like Ball State.

"That is one of the best teams I've ever seen," Hunter said. "I'll go on the record, that is the best team in Indiana."

The Cardinals (6-2) cruised to a 103-81 victory over the Jaguars and did so in record breaking fashion.

"I'm usually not very impressed after games," Hunter said. "At every spot (Ball State) is really solid and they bring very solid people. If I pick up the paper and see Ball State lost it will be because they beat themselves. Not many teams will beat them."

Ball State knocked down 16 3-pointers -- the most in school history. Most of those came from junior guard Chris Williams. The 6-3 guard tied the school record with seven three-point field goals in a game. Williams finished with 21 points.

"I knew I was getting close to (the record) because all the shots that I was hitting were three's," Williams said.

"This is a great shooters gym," he said. "Coach told us about that warming up. After about the first two I felt that I was on. I just got in a rhythm. My teammates found me and I was able to find the shot. We don't really think about making or missing. As a player you don't even think about it."

Senior guard Petie Jackson led the Cardinals in scoring with 28, shooting 8-13 from the field. Theron Smith finished with 16 points -- crossing the 1,000 career-point mark. Smith now has 1,010 points as a Cardinal.