Students from the Indiana Academy were forced to leave their residence hall Tuesday afternoon when a couch in a study lounge caught fire in what is being investigated as an arson by University Police.
According to Deputy Chief of University Police Robert Fey, officer Bill Ellington responded to a fire alarm at Wagoner Hall at 5:32 p.m. Reports indicate a microwave had been stuffed with newspapers, turned on and placed on a couch. When the bottom of the microwave heated up, the couch caught on fire.
The Muncie Fire Department responded and evacuated the smoke from the building before allowing students to return to their rooms. Fey said UPD had no suspects.
This is at least the second suspected arson in a Ball State residence hall this semester. Fey said the incidents are not necessarily related.
"We have no evidence of this incident being connected to fires set in other residence halls," Fey said.