COLUMN: Voice greek comments, concerns to IFC

As some of you in the greek community know, there is an organization on campus that is comprised of a multitude of great student leaders. Within this organization there are great athletes, great students, tremendous examples of Cardinal pride and overall gentlemen. They are a small organization, yet powerful beyond belief. Sadly, they are not only under used, but also underrespected and underappreciated.

This organization is the Interfraternity Council. This group of fraternity men (IFC), is the backbone of our greek system and the starting point for any and all of the rules and policies that will ultimately affect each and every house on "the row."

What continually shocks me is that I hear a lot of crying and moaning from the greek community about how the IFC is unimportant and not needed. They are the victims of ire and dislike when something changes that the rest of the greeks see as harmful to our way of life. Everything that negatively happens is IFC advisor Rob Turning's fault, and everything good that happens is because the individual houses are "just that good."

So pardon me for a second while I tell all of you to wake up. It is not the fault of the IFC that our tailgating is gone, or that we can't have blow out parties. It is not the fault of the IFC that the greek system is down. It is also not the fault of the IFC that the image of fraternities in general at Ball State has taken a downward spiral.

If you are one of those people who blame the IFC for any or all of the problems I listed, then I'd say the real problem is what you see when you look in the mirror. As the old saying goes, either you are part of the problem or part of the solution. Crying and whining do nothing. What does get things accomplished is dedicated men who make the right decisions to benefit themselves and those around them. Coincidentally, there are a room full of these men who meet weekly in the Student Center. They make our community better, and strive to make the BSU greek system a model institution.

When you read this there will still be time. There will still be time for those of you who want to make a difference. There will be a meeting this week to nominate and elect the future executives of the IFC. Go. Be heard. Make your stand. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

If you are sick of the lack of community service, run for the Philanthropic Chair and change it. Tired of not knowing what's going on in the greek community? Run for public relations chair and let your voice be heard. Think you are a good example of greek unity and commitment? Then set your sights high, run for IFC president, carring on a proud tradition that Clint Rissman has laid the foundation for. No matter what you're good at, there is something you can do.

There is one way to accomplish this. It is time for all of us to question how we make our community better. One by one, house by house, we can make a difference. It starts with IFC.

Write to Alan at bsugreek@hotmail.com