CNN Web camera installed on BSU campus

Ball State students and faculty have new chance to express views, ask questions on a national television news program.

A national forum has opened its doors to Ball State, and students are already taking advantage.

CNN recently installed an Internet camera in the Edmund F. Ball building, which allows the Ball State community to participate in "Talk Back Live," a national discussion show where guest experts answer questions and attempt to provide insight on a daily issue.

Ball State is the second university to have a CNN "Talk Back Live" , after American University in Washington D.C., said Pollard.

Though not all questions appear on the air, any student may ask a question, said telecommunications assistant professor Tim Pollard.

"We just grab students in the building that are interested," said Andrea Bernatz, general manager for WCRH. "Anyone who is interested can come regardless of what department they are with.

"I feel that it is just a great experience for the students and faculty that participate."

Students that have participated have asked questions regarding the anthrax antibiotic Cipro, the dangers of opening mail, and traveling in a changed world. One Ball State student has already appeared on CNN, after asking a question about biological and chemical agents Americans should worry about.

Pollard, who worked at CNN before joining Ball State's faculty, said some glitches have arisen while sending video E-mail from Ball State to CNN.

"Right now, we are running at about 90 percent smoothness," said Pollard, adding that the bugs should be worked out within the next couple of weeks.