Cardinals finish above .500 for first time in school history

The double overtime victory was the seventh overtime game the team has played this season.

Senior forward Julie Pigozzo is getting hot at just the right time.

After going a month without a goal -- or even a point -- the lone senior on the women's soccer team has scored a goal in the last two games. But Saturday's goal against IPFW in double overtime gave Ball State its 12th win of the season with the 1-0 victory.

The goal came when a free kick by junior Alexia Karamanis deflected off Mastadon's goalie Lindsay Moskwinski and Pigozzo found an open for her eighth goal of the season.

"Alexia had a great shot right behind the wall (of defenders)," Pigozzo said. "I just kinda took it off my head, and I guess I got my own rebound and put it in. I have no idea where the goalie was, I was just so happy to score and win."

According to head coach Ron Rainey, the team did not play up to its potential, but he said the team remained focused.

"We just didn't play to well," Rainey said. ""It was such an emotional game Thursday. We just weren't able to come back."

This season marks the first time in the three-year history of the soccer team it ended with a record above .500 with a 12-5-2 record. Rainey said he wants to keep momentum from the teams four-game unbeaten streak into Tuesday's Mid-American Conference Tournament game against Ohio.

"All (the game) did was finish up our regular season," Rainey said. "It shouldn't have any effect on us. We're focused on the tournament and this game was just the culmination of a great season."