Cards end season at regional

Varga and Rhodes just miss upset of No. 8 tandem

Last weekend, the men's tennis team ended its fall season at the ITA Regional Championships.

This tournament was a fitting end to a fall that was nothing to write home about.

"We had an average tournament," Coach Bill Richards commented. "And we had a so-so fall."

The tournament, just like the season, was sprinkled with spots of promising play but definitely left room for improvement. Junior Michael Westerhof, who came into the tournament No. 22, advanced to the third round before falling to Minnesota's Harsh Mankad.-á Mankad recently competed in the Davis Cup series for his native India.-á

The other Cardinal to post a first round win was Andrew Seni. The senior beat Bowling Green's Nicolas Lopez-Acevedo in three tough sets. In the second round, Seni fell to No. 20 Brandon Currie, of Butler University in three sets.-á

"I didn't have much left in the tank by the third set," Seni, who became sick over the weekend, said.

"He was playing a big guy with a bigger serve, and in the third set he was just too tired," said Richards.

In doubles, the No. 11 team of Jason Pressel and Westerhof enjoyed a first-round bye. They then dominated Michigan State's Adam Hourani and Jimmy McGuire 8-1 before falling in the third round to the No. 5 duo from Illinois 8-6.-á

The other team of Chris Varga and Brad Rhodes won their first match 8-4. They then just missed an upset of the No. 8 tandem from Ohio State.-á

"It would have been nice to have someone make it to see Sunday, but it didn't happen," Seni said.-á

The fall tournaments do not count toward the final records but instead serve as a tune-up for the longer spring season. The team has until January 19 to work out the kinks and turn into the team they want to be.-á

"Right now we just have to pull loose ends together and work on our games individually," Richards commented.

"Everyone has to make themselves stronger right now," Seni said. "We can't be good in one aspect, we have to be solid all around."