Jerry Anderson: Ball State's 9th president

<p>Jerry Anderson served as the ninth president of Ball State from 1979-81. He received a formal recommendation from then-Board of Trustees president Alexander Bracken. <strong>Ball State University, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Jerry Anderson served as the ninth president of Ball State from 1979-81. He received a formal recommendation from then-Board of Trustees president Alexander Bracken. Ball State University, Photo Provided

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history. 

Jerry Anderson was 45 when he became Ball State’s ninth president in 1979.

Anderson, who was formally recommended by then-Board of Trustees president Alexander Bracken, succeeded Richard Burkhardt after a nine and a half month search. 

"I am flattered and delighted to know that I will be recommended to the board of Trustees to be the next president of Ball State University," Anderson told The Daily News when he was informed. "This is an outstanding university in every respect. It has a well credentialed and excellent faculty, an excellent student body, a hardworking staff and administration, and an outstanding board of Trustees dedicated to service to the university and the state of Indiana." 

During his time as president adopted and implement a university-wide planning process, established a compensation program and promoted faculty research and scholarship, according to Ball State’s website. 

Before becoming president, Anderson served as vice chancellor and chief academic officer at University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh. He also was a speech and dramatics professor at various universities including University of Maine and Michigan State University. He served as vice president for academic affairs at Western Washington University.  

Anderson resigned in February 1981 after serving just 18 months as president. 

After working at Ball State, Anderson servied as vice president of development of Concordia College, Moorhead. He also wrote a book, “Readings in Argumentation” with then-president Paul Dovre.

Anderson died in 2008.

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.