Honors College: A place for academics

<p>The Honors College provides distinctive learning experiences for students of high academic promise. Every year, approximately 340 new students enter the program.<strong> Rachel Ellis, DN</strong></p>

The Honors College provides distinctive learning experiences for students of high academic promise. Every year, approximately 340 new students enter the program. Rachel Ellis, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.   

For those students looking for an extra academic challenge while in college, Ball State offers an option — the Honors College. 

Students just beginning at Ball State are encouraged to apply to the Honors College if they earn an Indiana Academic Honors Diploma, a similar diploma in another state or earn mostly As and Bs in high school. Admissions also considers criteria such as SAT and ACT scores, AP courses, activities and experiences and letters of reference.

Students who are accepted — around 340 each year — are required to maintain an overall GPA of 3.33 or higher in order to remain in the program. Students also must complete certain curriculum to graduate including a freshman seminar, honors core curriculum, two honors colloquia and a senior project or thesis.

The senior project or thesis involves working with a professor on a topic that is usually related to the major or minor of the student. One of those, the Joe and Carol Trimer Awards for Outstanding Senior Honors Thesis or Project, is awarded to the best researched and the best creative thesis in the form of a $1,000 prize.

In addition, students can win other awards and honors from the college like the Provost’s Prize for Outstanding Seniors, which awards a Ball State senior of significant academic achievement.

A large aspect of the college is the living-learning community. Students in the community live together in a reserved campus residence hall at DeHority Complex where they interact with each other, as well as faculty and advisors.

There are many scholarship opportunities available only to honors students, including the Presidential Scholarship and the Whitinger Scholars Program. Study abroad programs in the form of field studies and semester-long programs are offered through the college and allow students to travel to a variety of places like Germany, China, Brazil and Greece.

Additionally, honors students can join regional and national honors organizations including the National Collegiate Honors Council and the Mid-East Honors Association, along with others located on campus like the Student Honors Council and Golden Key International Honor Society.

Read more centennial content here.

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @adharp24.