Homecoming: A university-wide celebration

<p>The 2017 Homcoming parade took place Oct. 21 from Muncie Central High school to Ball State University. The Parade theme was "Cardinals around the world." <strong>Stephanie Amador, DN</strong></p>

The 2017 Homcoming parade took place Oct. 21 from Muncie Central High school to Ball State University. The Parade theme was "Cardinals around the world." Stephanie Amador, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.  

On Nov. 18, 1926, the first Homecoming was hosted at Ball State.

The football team, then known as the Hoosieroons of Ball Teachers’ College, faced Hanover College. Before defeating Hanover 13-0, however, the community celebrated through many different activities.

In 1955, the Ball State Teachers College Homecoming Float featured a whale and the phrase 'Whale of a Homecoming.' Ball State, Photo Provided

Ball State hosted a bonfire, pep session and snake dance. That Saturday, students, alumni and faculty marched together to the game, student organizations sponsored lunches and dinners for alumni and an “all-college frolic” was hosted, according to Ball State’s website.

“Homecoming was a great success in every respect,” said then-president Benjamin Burris. “There was unusual interest and enthusiasm throughout and we could not have asked for more."

A homecoming float passes the Administration Building during the 1965 Homecoming parade. Ball State, Photo Provided

It wasn’t until 1938 that the first homecoming queen, Marjorie Haisley, was crowned. The Daily News reported the queen’s duties to be “leading the parade on Saturday, present awards, preside over the football game and reign at the Homecoming dance."

Marjorie Haisley was the first to be crowned Ball State's Homecoming Queen in 1938. Ball State, Photo Provided

As the festivities became more popular throughout campus, new traditions sprang up and local businesses began participating. Eventually, businesses began decorating their storefronts alongside the students who decorated fraternity houses and dorms. 

Freshman versus sophomore games, a theater rush and student-produced talent shows and plays became part of the celebration as well. 

In 1963, the university hosted a Homecoming bonfire for the community to enjoy. Ball State, Photo Provided

The Homecoming Steering Committee was officially started in 1961 in order to allow students and advisors the opportunity to plan and coordinate activities for Homecoming. 

Students compete in the Homecoming pie-eating contest in 1955. Ball State, Photo Provided

While World War II halted many activities, including athletics and Homecoming festivities, the traditions returned in 1947 with a parade featuring 18 floats, a homecoming queen contest, a theater rush, a bonfire, freshman-sophomore contests and a “gala” Homecoming dance, according to Ball State’s website.

Out of the 95 Homecoming games that have been played, the Cardinals have won a total of 58 and tied one. 

Students cheer on Ball State's football team as it faces Indiana State in the 1973 homecoming game. Ball State, Photo Provided

Today, Homecoming features various activities hosted by the university including the Taste of Homecoming Food Truck Festival, Talent Search, a campus dinner, Air Jam, the Bed Race, the Chase Charlie 5K and a parade. 

Homecoming royalty are also chosen and involved in several different events. During the game, fans can enjoy performances from Ball State’s cheerleaders, Code Red Dance Team and the Pride of Mid-America Marching Band.

The Pride of Mid-America Marching Band march in the Homecoming parade in 1972. Ball State, Photo Provided

Read more centennial content here.  

Contact Brooke Kemp with comments at bmkemp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @brookemkemp.