Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass: Fusing artistry, community

<p>Ally Burch, a graduate student, works on a glass piece with Kat Rudolph at the Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass. <strong>Stephanie Amador, DN</strong></p>

Ally Burch, a graduate student, works on a glass piece with Kat Rudolph at the Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass. Stephanie Amador, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.  

Located by Christy Woods and the Rinard Orchid Greenhouse, the Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass is a place where the community can go to appreciate the glass arts.

Glick and her husband Eugene created the Glick foundation, through which she donated $5 million dollars in 2008 to promote the appreciation and education of the glass arts. 

The building was dedicated in 2010, and Brent Cole, associate professor of art, said “[Marilyn] particularly liked the idea that the glass center bearing her name would help young artists learn their craft and help Ball State expand its art programs,” according to Ball State’s website.

When creating the 9,254 square-foot center, the activities that would occur in the building had to be considered. According to Ball State’s website, “Careful consideration was given to key elements of the glass artist's process: ventilation, temperature, space to work, and the range of processes involved in the creation of glass art.”

The center was opened in 2011 and features studio spaces including a hot shop, cold shop, kiln room and a classroom area.

In the hot shop, artists can blow and hot-sculpt projects, as well as sand and investment mold hot casting. The cold shop is a space for cutting, polishing, engraving, sandblasting, carving and etching. 

The Kiln Room allows experimentation and specialization in warm glass processes as well as slumping, fusing, kiln-casting and enameling.

Students in both the graduate and undergraduate program for glass arts work in the area and often meet in the classroom area where each student has a locker. 

Community members also are able to utilize the facility from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. LED screens and viewing windows allow visitors to observe artists at work. Various glass pieces are on display throughout the center, but those wishing to use the studios must specifically arrange a visit.

Elementary schools also can arrange field trips to tour the facility and see demonstrations and an educational presentation about the glass arts. 

Now, the university’s program, which offers a bachelors and masters degree, has been nationally recognized for its support of the arts and community through its exhibitions, workshops and classes.

Read more centennial content here.  

Contact Brooke Kemp with comments at bmkemp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @brookemkemp.