Shafer Tower: 48 bells and 150 feet

<p>Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns said the bells on Shafer Tower will toll eight times at 11:50 a.m. March 22, 2021, in memory of the eight people killed in Atlanta massage parlor shootings. <strong>Rachel Ellis, DN File</strong></p>

Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns said the bells on Shafer Tower will toll eight times at 11:50 a.m. March 22, 2021, in memory of the eight people killed in Atlanta massage parlor shootings. Rachel Ellis, DN File

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.

Each hour, on the hour, Ball State students and faculty are reminded of not only the time of day, but of a landmark that stands at the center of the Cardinal campus. 

With the likes of Charlie and Benny, Shafer Tower has become a memorable piece of Ball State.

While the tower has become an iconic image for the university, it has not graced Muncie’s skyline for very long. Construction on the $3 million tower began in 2000 and was completed in late 2001. 

The tower is dedicated to Hamer and Phyllis Shafer, members of the Miller College of Business Hall of Fame, who donated both funds and time to Muncie and Ball State for more than 50 years. 

The bell tower is known formally as a carillon, a set of bells played through an instrument such as a piano. According to Ball State University’s official website, Shafer houses 48 custom-made bells that can range four octaves. 

On every quarter hour, the computerized bells ring out the "Westminster Quarters" across campus, notifying students and faculty members of time passing.

A narrow staircase leads up to a room where the bells are housed. From there, a musician can play a keyboard attached to cables, which will make the bells chime, on special occasions. 

According to the Ball State College of Architecture Program report of 2001, the tower was designed by Hafer Associates. 

“The view of the tower looking north from the Scramble Light area is truly remarkable,” Jack Wyman, former Ball State professor of architecture, wrote in 2001. 

Brick for brick, Shafer Bell Tower stands 150 feet above the grounds of Ball State's campus, making it the highest bell tower in Indiana. It can be seen from the far corners of the Quad to north of the Duck Pond. 

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Garrett Looker with comments at galooker@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Garrett_Looker.