Scheumann Stadium: Cheers, chirps and touchdowns

<p>Scheumann Stadium was built in 1967 and originally seated 16,000. It went under a renovation in 2007 and now seats 22,500. <strong>Paige Grider, DN</strong></p>

Scheumann Stadium was built in 1967 and originally seated 16,000. It went under a renovation in 2007 and now seats 22,500. Paige Grider, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.

On game night, the sound of instruments, cheers and chirps can all be heard within Ball State’s Scheumann Stadium. 

The 16,000-seat stadium was originally completed in 1967. However, after undergoing a $13.6 million renovation prior to the 2007 season, the capacity increased to 22,500. 

The renovation was funded by donations, including a $4 million one from former football player John Scheumann, and his wife June. Additional funds from Paul and Patricia Kozel in the form of $1.25 million and John and Janice Fisher in the form of $510,000 made the construction possible. 

The stadium, original called Ball State Stadium, was renamed the John B. and June M. Scheumann Stadium, the training center donned the name the John W. and Janice B. Fisher Football Training Complex, while the new press box and entertainment suites received the name the Paul L. and and Patricia L. Kozel Communications Center. 

In addition to new seating and private suites, the stadium saw the addition of permanent lighting for night games, a larger press box, an update to the façade and new concession stands. In 2015, new turf and updated graphics were added to the stadium. 

Students who present their valid ID on game day are admitted free to all games. In all of its history, Scheumann Stadium has seen 16 crowds over 20,000. 

The largest crowd Scheumann Stadium has seen was an official count of 23,861 when the Cardinals faced off against Western Michigan Nov. 25, 2008. The Cardinals recorded a 45-22 victory to win the Mid-American Conference West Division title and finish the regular season with a 12-0 record. 

Before games, students can tailgate in the various areas Ball State has to offer. Performances from the Ball State Cheerleaders, Code Red Dance Team and Pride of Mid-America Marching Band can be seen in the Charlie Town and Cardinal Village portions of the tailgate. 

During the game, Charlie Cardinal can be found dancing with the spirit teams or leading the student section in the traditional “chirp.” When the opposing team is on its third down, the student section will begin “the chirp” in an effort to help the Cardinals stop them. 

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.