College of Fine Arts: Performances, plays and exhibitions

<p>The College of Fine Arts was founded in 1935. It houses the School of Music, School of Art and Design and School of Theatre and Dance. Additionally, the David Owsley Museum of Art is part of the College of Fine Arts, though it is not a school. <strong>Leslie Gartrell, DN</strong></p>

The College of Fine Arts was founded in 1935. It houses the School of Music, School of Art and Design and School of Theatre and Dance. Additionally, the David Owsley Museum of Art is part of the College of Fine Arts, though it is not a school. Leslie Gartrell, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.

Founded in 1935, the College of Fine Arts has a mission to “promote awareness, appreciation and expertise in the fine arts.”

Academic programs in the College of Fine Arts are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Music, Theatre and Dance.

By offering classes in art, music and theatre and dance, the College of Fine Arts casts a wide net:  

School of Music

Those wanting a career in music can choose performance, composition, education and media production. While studying, students can utilize two state-of-the art performance halls — Sursa Performance Hall and Hahn Recital Hall — and recording studios. Those looking to join the School of Music must first audition.

The School of Music puts on the annual Chamber Music Festival, and has been doing so for 72 years. It is believed to be the longest, continuous university series of its kind in the United States, according to the school of music.

Schools within the College of Fine Arts also take part in events and community outreach, including several projects from the School of Music.

Music students have had the opportunity to travel and perform across the world in festivals and performance halls, including at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland. Many musical performances featuring jazz and classical music are performed every school year. These performances can even be watched through livestreams.

School of Art

High school graduates looking to join the school of art and must submit a portfolio of 10 to 15 examples of their work. 

Students who pursue an art degree can do so using a variety of mediums including animation, ceramics, drawing, glass, metals, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture and graphic design. Additionally, students can student art education, history and management.

Work from students in the College of Fine Arts can be seen in the Atrium gallery, hallways of the Art and Journalism Building and the Glick Center for Glass. Student work in the visual arts can also be viewed online in various galleries

Theatre and Dance

Theatre and Dance students have put on stage performances since 1936. In the 2017-18 season, 21 different performances were premiered. 

Theatre and dance majors can pursue degrees in acting, dance, musical theater, design and technology, directing, stage management and education. Those students use various labs, shops, studios and theaters including the University Theatre and Cave Theatre.

Recently, theatre and music students had the opportunity to work with Tony award-winning actress Sutton Foster on her most recent album.

The Theatre and Dance department also facilitates showcases, festivals and workshops. 

The Discovery New Theatre Festival has students review and screen musicals and plays submitted to the department. These musicals and plays are then selected, read and workshopped on stage, and considered for future development.

The David Owsley Museum of Art is also part of the College of Fine Arts, though it is not a school.

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @adharp24.