Beverley Pitts: Ball State's 13th president

<p>Beverley J. Pitts served as interim president of the university in 2004. After leaving Ball State, Pitts became the eighth president of the University of Indianapolis. <strong>Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Beverley J. Pitts served as interim president of the university in 2004. After leaving Ball State, Pitts became the eighth president of the University of Indianapolis. Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Photo Provided

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.

Dr. Beverley J. Pitts was the first female to serve as interim president to the university. In 2004, she was appointed the 13th president after Blaine A. Brownell retired. 

Pitts was appointed interim president from January to August before being relieved by the first female president of an Indiana public institution Jo Ann M. Gora.

Pitts has a doctorate in higher education with a concentration in communications, a master’s degree in journalism and a bachelor's degree in English.

She was the founding chair of the Department of Communication at Anderson University. Before becoming acting president, Pitts served Ball State for about 20 years in a variety positions such as associate provost, assistant provost for research and director of general studies and academic assessment.

While at Ball State, Pitts also worked as a professor of journalism and as a director of graduate studies in the Department of Journalism.

After her stint as interim president, Pitts became the eighth president of the University of Indianapolis. She served from 2005 to 2012. 

While president, Pitts helped implement a six-year strategic plan focused on growth and retention. Pitts also made the decision to adopt the “UIndy” as the school’s official nickname over “U of I.” 

Recently, Pitts has been working working as a consultant for higher education issues. She was appointed as an at large member of the Indiana Commission for Higher Education by Gov. Eric Holcomb in 2017. Her term is scheduled to end June 30.

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @adharp24.