Ball State alumnus Robert Hunt to speak at May commencement

<p>The Robert G. Hunt Center for Construction Management was officially unveiled&nbsp;on April 7, 2016, in the Applied Technology Building. Former President Jo Ann Gora started cultivating the relationship with the university and Hunt. <strong>Reagan Allen, DN File </strong>&nbsp;</p>

The Robert G. Hunt Center for Construction Management was officially unveiled on April 7, 2016, in the Applied Technology Building. Former President Jo Ann Gora started cultivating the relationship with the university and Hunt. Reagan Allen, DN File  

During Friday's Board of Trustees meeting, Interim Provost and Interim Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Marilyn Buck announced the university will give an honorary doctorate of law to Ball State alumnus Robert G. Hunt. 

Hunt, who will speak at the May 5 commencement, graduated from Ball State in 1969. He will deliver the main address at the ceremony, which will begin at 10 a.m. on the Old Quad, according to a press release. 

In April 2016, the university unveiled the Robert G. Hunt Center for Construction Management in the Applied Technology Building.

RELATED: Robert G. Hunt Center opens in Applied Technology Building

“The ability for the students to interact with each other, learn interpersonal skills and relationships, that's what I think this facility will help as much as anything," Hunt said. "Sure, it can be a place they can learn BIM or a scheduling kind of item, but for them to work together with other students, grow and develop, mature as people, that's what I hope comes out of this more than anything." 

Former Ball State President Jo Ann Gora said Hunt was the first alumnus to say he wanted to be more than just a donor and wanted to get involved with students and participate in an immersive learning project.

Currently, Hunt serves as the chairman emeritus of Hunt Construction Group — now AECOM Hunt — a company his grandfather founded. In the past, he served as an executive-in-residence and mentored two immersive learning projects that involved Hunt Construction Group.