Students elected to pro tempore, Cardinal Kitchen roles

<p>Student Government Association senate meets in the L.A. Pittinger Student Center in Cardinal Hall B. <strong>Sara Barker, DN</strong></p>

Student Government Association senate meets in the L.A. Pittinger Student Center in Cardinal Hall B. Sara Barker, DN

Senator Kam Bontrager was elected Student Government Association president pro tempore for the 2018-19 season Wednesday.

Bontrager was one of three students, including senators Joshua Borges and Ashley Smith, running for the position. He won with ten votes, while Smith received eight votes, Borges nine votes and a one vote abstained. 

RELATED: SGA senate nominates three students for president pro tempore

“This means a chance for leadership and a chance for growth. And this kind of gives a chance for me to leave my legacy here,” said Bontrager, a a junior family consumer science education major.  “I am here for the senators. I want to make sure I know what they want from me.”

In the position, Bontrager would act as a leader in the senate. He would be a guide to incoming and already established senators, as well as facilitate  collaboration between the recently-elected slate Amplify and senators. 

“My main focus will be to improve senator transitions, just making sure that everybody that is in here can hit the ground running so we can work for the students and make an impact,” Bontrager said. “I just want to make sure senators feel welcome here.”

While Bontrager was elected for a position that has been around for a while, Caroline Koby was elected for a new senator position.

Koby, a sophomore public relations major, was elected Cardinal Kitchen temporary organization seat. This position, which can last up to two years, means that Koby will represent Cardinal Kitchen in the senate.

Koby, who volunteers with the organization, said Cardinal Kitchen is a student-run food pantry that serves students by providing food and toiletries.

RELATED: Cardinal Kitchen provides resources for Ball State students

“I hope to spread the word about Cardinal Kitchen more. Make people aware of the services they have,” Koby said. “I will maybe even start some events.”

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.