Holocaust survivor speech canceled due to storm

Maud Dahme, a Holocaust survivor who was set to speak Wednesday night, will no longer be giving her speech. 

Due to an east cost storm, Dahme was unable to travel to Muncie. However, the event may be rescheduled for April 6 or 7. 

RELATED: A 2-year, 7,000-mile escape from Nazi Germany

If the speech is rescheduled, Dahme, who was born in Holland , will speak about her story of survival. 

Dahme and her family received a letter in 1942 from the Germans telling them to go a railroad station with one suitcase — they became suspicious. 

The family then "asked one of their Christian friends associated with the Resistance to hide Maud and her sister Rita," according to the event description. "Their parents instructed them never to reveal that they were Jewish."

"Increasingly, in many corners of the world, the Holocaust is being either minimized or denied; we provide these speakers so that students, in particular, may be armed against such politically-motivated attempts to alter history," said Francine Friedman, a professor of political science and Director of the Ball State Jewish Studies Program in an email. 

Ball State's Jewish Studies Program wants to continue to provide events like these "to hear first-person accounts of experiences occurring during the darkest days of the twentieth century," Friedman said.

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @AndrewSmithNews.