SGA implements voting booths in addition to online voting

<p>Student Government Association senators converse around the table at SGA student senate Jan. 17 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN File</strong></p>

Student Government Association senators converse around the table at SGA student senate Jan. 17 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Eric Pritchett, DN File

Students will be able to vote at 14 different stations throughout campus during Student Government Association Elections said Ro Anne Royer Engle, associate vice president of student affairs and enrollment services Wednesday.

Besides voting through email, students are encouraged to vote at the stations and receive an “I voted” sticker, Royer Engle said.

Open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the stations will be located in the Atrium, Bracken Library and the Student Center on Feb. 26, and again at David Letterman Building, Bracken Library and the Student Center on Feb. 27.

“People sometimes delete the email [sent out for voting],” said elections board chair Abigail Gibbs. “The stations would make it more accessible and help people realize elections are happening.”

While SGA elections are underway, funds and resolutions are still progressing in the student senate. Here’s a look at what’s happening:

Extended breakfast hours

Dining’s breakfast hours could potentially be extended to 10:59 a.m., said Senator Kam Bontrager.  

This half-hour increase would allow students more time to use their meal swipe and prevent them from potentially losing it.

“One of the biggest issues students brought to SGA was with dining’s hours,” Bontrager said. “This is a good first step in reevaluating dining time slots.”

Environmental-friendly straws

Senator Kaleb Chowning said he is looking at paper straws as a greener alternative to replace dining’s plastic straws. 

“Dining has won awards for their green initiatives. But one of the things they haven’t really addressed is straws,” Chowning said. “Small things like that are a big issue for the environment because they end up everywhere.”

While paper straws would cost approximately 5 cents more per straw, Chowning said the benefits to the environment outweigh the cost.

Seven Round Tables

The on-campus caucus will host the event Seven Round Tables from 7-9 p.m. Feb. 27 in Park Hall’s multipurpose room.

Students can ask senators questions regarding SGA and its various committees at seven different tables.

“While people might know about SGA, they don’t know who we are,” senator Jacob Biller said. “It will foster more cooperation between SGA and the student body. It will help build  connections.”

Senate members approved a $200 fund from the student senate discretionary fund for the event.

Exemplary teacher

Students will be able to nominate an exemplary teacher in a survey that will be sent within the next week, said treasurer Kaia Thompson.

The winning teacher will receive a plaque and the class who casts the most votes for the winning teacher will receive a pizza party.

This progresses OPTiC’s fostering student/teacher relations platform point.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.