Construction continues throughout various parts of campus

<p>The Health Professions Building progressed with construction Jan. 31. <strong>Rebecca Slezak, DN</strong></p>

The Health Professions Building progressed with construction Jan. 31. Rebecca Slezak, DN

Even when the snow falls on campus, construction still goes on.

Ball State University construction workers keep busy as the campus master plan progresses.

Here is a quick look at what’s been accomplished so far and what’s still to come:

LaFollette Complex 

They Mysch/Hurst and Woody/Shales halls of LaFollette Complex came tumbling down summer 2017. 

Currently, construction is in the works for two new residence halls and a stand-alone dining facility. The target completion of these buildings is set for the summer of 2020, said Jim Lowe, associate vice president for facilities planning and management.

Construction will begin on a second residence hall in the summer of 2019 after the completion of the previous residence halls and dining facility. 

The LaFollette Complex, built in 1967, housed approximately 1,900 students per year prior to the demolition.     

When it began: June 2017 

Expected completion: 2021

Cost: $90 million    

McKinley Avenue

Students can prepare for McKinley Avenue to close this summer.

While the two new residence halls are built where LaFollette formerly was, the curve in McKinley Avenue near Johnson Hall A/B and Lafollette Hall will be removed. Lowe said it will be realigned in a 90 degree fashion with a traffic circle at the turn.

When it will begin: May 7, 2018

Expected Completion: August 2018.

Cost: Included in LaFollette Complex

Health Professions Building

In September, the groundbreaking ceremony commenced for the building. 

The 167,000-square-foot building in the new East Quad will feature multiple simulation suites, exam rooms and an athletic training lab to provide students with hands-on experience. Nearly 7,000 students will be able to use this new building. 

When it began: June 2017 

Expected completion: Summer 2019  

Cost: $62.5 million  

Don Shondell Practice Center

A 19,000-square-foot attachment to John E. Worthen Arena began this summer. 

The Don Shondell Practice Center, named for hall of fame men's volleyball coach Don Shondell, will feature two courts for the men's and women's basketball and volleyball teams as well as a training room, two team meeting rooms and a study room.      

When it began: June 2017 

Expected Completion: June 2018 

Cost: $6.4 million   

Earl Yestingsmeier Golf Center

On Jan. 27, a dedication ceremony introduced the new Yestingsmeier Golf Center. Located along Bethel Avenue on the north side of campus, just southeast of Scheumann Stadium , the facility was named after Earl Yestingsmeier who coached Ball State men's golf for 36 years.

The 6,400 square feet facility includes two indoor hitting bays, a hitting simulator, a putting and chipping area and new locker and restroom facilities for both the women's and men's golf teams.     

When it began: March 2017 

Completion: January 2018

Cost:  $1.7 million  

John R. Emens Auditorium

John R. Emens Auditorium’s main lobby and front entrance opened in November.

The $5 million, donor-driven expansion project, included such renovations as the relocation of the box office to an interior area, more restrooms and office/conference spaces as well as an overall larger lobby area.

Additionally, the university approved  a $1.6 million makeover of the front lawn. The lawn will include outdoor gathering spaces and drop-off/pick up areas for elderly and people with disabilities. This connects to pedestrian and bicycle paths leading up to the upcoming East Mall.     

When it began: June 2016 

Completion: November 2017 

Cost: $6.6 million  

Cooper Science 

Once the Health Professions Building is completed in the summer of 2019 and the Foundational Science is completed in 2021, work will begin on Cooper Science Building. Lowe said plans are still in the works for Cooper.

Cost: TBD

When it will begin: TBD  

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.