Faculty council approves modified diversity question on professor evaluations

<p><strong>Sara Barker, DN</strong></p>

Sara Barker, DN

A diversity piece on professor evaluations returned to faculty council Thursday — but with some changes.

The last time this measure appeared before faculty council, it was an additional question proposed to be added to professor evaluations which read:

“The university does not tolerate discrimination and is committed to work with diversity in a wholly positive way. Please indicate below anything in relation to this course that supports or runs counter to this objective.”

RELATED: Professor diversity evaluation addition concerns faculty council

The question, written by former associate provost for diversity and director of the office of institutional diversity Charlene Alexander, was sent back to the teaching evaluation committee.

When it returned to faculty council Jan. 25, the additional question was gone, replaced by a modification to an already-existing question.

Previously, the question read “My instructor is respectful when I have a question or comment.” Now, faculty council approved the change to read “My instructor treats me with respect.”

Responses to this question will still be tallied on a five-point scale and a comment box will be provided.

Staci Davis, executive director of online and distance education programs, said the committee reached the decision after receiving input from the Beneficence Dialogue and different departments.

“We thought by doing that, it was more inclusive, could cover diversity, it wasn’t limiting by actually saying, ‘When I have a question or comment with a faculty member,’ so if there was other interaction with a faculty member, just by saying, ‘My instructor treats me with respect’ we thought would cover that as well,” Davis said.

From there, the change goes to administration for further approval.

Contact Sara Barker with comments at slbarker3@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @sarabarker326.