Feed My Sheep encouraging students to volunteer

<p>A Feed My Sheep volunteer celebrated the amount of donations the organization received at its annual food drive. Feed My Sheep volunteers will feed people within the Muncie community on Thanksgiving. <strong>Feed My Sheep Muncie, Photo Provided</strong></p>

A Feed My Sheep volunteer celebrated the amount of donations the organization received at its annual food drive. Feed My Sheep volunteers will feed people within the Muncie community on Thanksgiving. Feed My Sheep Muncie, Photo Provided

The organization Feed My Sheep, an outreach program that feeds up to 1,500 people each Thanksgiving, is encouraging students to give back this holiday season.

“I am excited for it every year,” said Lanisha Huggins, a board member for the organization. “Give yourself time to do it. There are so many families here that go without.”

Huggins, a senior telecommunications major, explained the program started 21 years ago to give back to the community of Muncie. 

“Besides giving families hot meals, we bag groceries for them,” Huggins said. “Students can be involved the day before Thanksgiving since some students go home during [break].”

Huggins said volunteers are welcome to give time on Nov. 23 and 24 at Muncie Central High School. To volunteer, students will need to fill out an application form on www.fmsmuncie.org. 

“It’s eye opening and heartwarming how many people you can help with not much effort,” said Jasmine Jones, a two-year volunteer and former Muncie resident. 

Additionally, students can donate nonperishable items for groceries from Oct. 16 through Nov. 16. Students can check the Feed My Sheep website for donation sites.

Huggins started volunteering for Feed My Sheep as a freshman and now works for them because she said the program had a big impact on her life. 

“Interacting with those families, it was really life changing for me so I continue to do it every year,” Huggins said. “You never think so many families are in need in Muncie.”

Jones said by volunteering with Feed My Sheep, students can really make an impact on the local community.

“I’ve kind of been in the place where those people are,” Jones said. “When I heard of the opportunity to give back to people at one of the biggest times of the year I had to do it, and it really makes an impact.”

In fact, over 20,000 people in Muncie have food insecurity according to Feed America. 

“Feed My Sheep is a way to connect with the Muncie community,” Huggins said. “Especially for Ball State students — we stay in a Ball State community. So branching out and learning more about where you live is amazing.”

Those wishing to volunteer can fill out a volunteer form.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.