Tuesday night, students were forced to put down their projects and evacuate the College of Architecture and Planning shortly before midnight.

Muncie Fire Department and the University Police Department responded to the building after reports of smoke in the stairwell.

MFD Captain Mike Rector said it is believed the smoke was caused by a laser cutter. 

The only damage, as of now, appears to be smoke debris from a filter that caught on fire. The source was shut off before more damage could be done. 

The fire alarms did not go off, but Rector said everyone was safely evacuated from the building.