Emens construction slated to finish in October

The newly renovated George and Frances Ball Foundation Lobby in John R. Emens Auditorium. Kyle Crawford // DN

A larger lobby, bathrooms and concessions are a few of the new additions to John R. Emens Auditorium patrons should anticipate.    

Emens expansion began in summer 2016 and the project added 12,000 square feet to the building.    

“It’s been a career long dream for me to have improved patron amenities,” Bob Myers, director of John R. Emens college community auditorium and Pruis Hall said. “The lobby was very utilitarian and small. Not unusual for the time in the 60s when the venue was built, but it didn’t really meet contemporary standards.”   

The newly renovated lobby features an extended vestibule that includes three box office windows and a handicap bathroom.   

“A key for us is not only a larger lobby, but a larger vestibule space between the doors because people sometimes come early to an event, even though we can’t let them in out of the elements, so there’s now space there. There’s space in front of the box office, you can buy tickets and be inside not outside,” Myers said.    

In addition to the lobby renovations, Emens front lawn is currently under construction as a part of the 2015 Campus Master Plan's installation of the East Mall.    

“There are two separate projects going on, one is right here, south lawn and the other one is further to the east and the road work which is phase one of the East Mall. The circle drive will be done sooner,” Myers said.    

RELATED: Roundup of Ball State's summer construction projects

Both projects are slated to be completed by mid-October, and to Myers, will make the exterior more welcoming to students and the community.    

“We have a lot of summer events — graduations and other functions — where the event finishes and people all spill out and congregate outside. So, we wanted to make that space much more welcoming,” Myers said.    

In addition to a larger vestibule and lobby, Emens added a hospitality suite on the second floor, that features a prep room for catered events, a conference room and a vista. The suite also includes existing structure for a future balcony.    

Currently, Emens does not have a grand re-opening date. Myers is working in collaboration with the Office of the President to set a date.