Delaware County hosts fundraiser for new K9 officer

The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office is currently fundraising to purchase a new K-9 officer after the loss of German Shepherd K-9 Sabo in July. Sabo, a narcotics K-9, developed an acute debilitating degenerative bone condition. Jerry Parks // Photo Provided

The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office is fundraising to purchase a new K-9 officer after the loss of German Shepherd K-9 Sabo in July.   

Sabo, a narcotics K-9, developed an acute debilitating degenerative bone condition, and his handler, Corporal Jerry Parks, decided to put him down. Sabo was Parks’ K-9 partner for four years.    

“Instead of keeping him drugged up and not being able to work him, I made the decision to go ahead and put him down since he was in so much pain,” Parks said.   

The Sheriff’s Office currently has three other K-9s who work various shifts and one who is waiting to be certified.    

Buying a new K-9 is not part of the Sheriff’s Office’s county budget, so donations from the community, businesses and individuals are needed. K-9s can cost between $7,000-$20,000. The Sheriff’s Office recently hosted a golf outing and a Dine to Donate event to help raise money and are still fundraising.   

“They’re very expensive, but just like any sheriff or any police officer will tell you, they’re a very valuable tool,” Parks said. “We find a lot of drugs with them … a dog’s always needed.”   

In addition to sniffing out and finding drugs, K-9s are also used for tracking people and catching violent felons.   

“If you do have a violent felon that just fled a scene, they can be apprehended with these K-9s. It takes the dangerous situation out of the officer’s hands,” Corporal David Williams, who heads the K-9 unit, said. “Besides being a police officer, they’re definitely a good tool and asset to any police department.”   

Parks would like for the department to have six K-9 officers, which they had at one time. The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office helps with surrounding communities such as Gaston and Albany as well as surrounding counties if needed.   

The new narcotics K-9 will already be trained when it arrives in Delaware County, and Parks will go through a six-week course with his new K-9 so they can learn how to work with each other and bond.   

Donations can be made by contacting the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office at 765-747-7885.