English professors add to Little Free Libraries on campus

<p>Assistant chair of programs and English professor Deborah Mix and English professor Lynne Stallings have created Little Free Libraries. The set-up for the library is temporary, but has the opportunity to become permanent if it is popular with students. &nbsp;Kaiti Sullivan, DN</p>

Assistant chair of programs and English professor Deborah Mix and English professor Lynne Stallings have created Little Free Libraries. The set-up for the library is temporary, but has the opportunity to become permanent if it is popular with students.  Kaiti Sullivan, DN

Registered Little Free Libraries in Muncie:

•  2713 W. Sacramento Drive
  • 1201 N. Finnlandia Court
  • 605 N. Forest Ave.
  • 1517 W. Glenn Ellyn Drive
  • 1200 N. Minnetrista Parkway
  • 1111 N. Penn St.
  • 500 S. Walnut St.
  • 418 W. Adams  St.

Little Free Libraries on campus:

• Unified Media Lab 
  • Cooper Physical Science Building

The walls in the shared space between Robert Bell and the David Letterman Communication buildings are often beige and bare, minus the English department bulletin board filled with miscellaneous posters for events throughout the university.  

Assistant chair of programs and English professor Deborah Mix and English professor Lynne Stallings decided to change the face of the corridor.  

“It actually was tied into a speaker who came last year, who did a talk called, 'Love Where You Live.' It was like a community event and he talked about trying to make places where you spend a lot of time more fun, more inviting,” Mix said. 

In order to make the space between Robert Bell and Letterman more inviting, Mix and Stallings reached out to vice president for facilities planning and management, Jim Lowe.  

“He came over and he could see what we meant, that this was just wasted space. So we talked a lot about different things that we could make happen,” Mix said.  

Ideas such as painting a mural, hanging art and putting vinyl decals were all mentioned, but the one that stuck was the little free library that now sits between the two buildings.  

“So Lynne and I got to talking and we agreed that corridor between Robert Bell and Lettermen, it was anti-fun,” Mix said. “It just was nothing … so we started thinking about what we could do there, what we could make happen.”  

Currently, the set-up for the library is temporary, but has the opportunity to become permanent if it is popular with students.  

Since June, the library has been a place for students and faculty to read and share books of all genres. Out of the 30 books Mix, Stallings and the English department donated to the library, there are only 13 left.