New Indiana laws that you need to know

<p>More than 200 new laws were enacted by the Indiana General Assembly and Gov. Eric Holcomb. //&nbsp;<em>DN File&nbsp;</em></p>

More than 200 new laws were enacted by the Indiana General Assembly and Gov. Eric Holcomb. // DN File 

More than 200 new laws were enacted by the Indiana General Assembly and Gov. Eric Holcomb.

Many of the new laws, including an increase in state fuel taxes, took effect July 1. Here is what you need to know about some of the new laws Hoosier are now expected to follow.

Gas tax increase

State legislators passed the increase of 10 cents in order to help pay for a 20-year infrastructure and road improvement plan. According to estimates, the move is expected to generate $1.2 billion by 2025.

Limits on opioid prescriptions

As a result of the state's opioid addiction problem, Gov. Holcomb signed four bills, among the 20 overall opioid-related bills passed in the spring.

One bill limits the amount of opioids a doctor can prescribe to children and first-time users. First-time presumptions for opioid drugs are now limited to a seven-day supply.

Employers ask about criminal history

Indiana lawmakers have ensured that employers in the state can ask job applicants about their criminal histories when they fill out an application.

The new law that when into effect Saturday prohibits the state and municipalities from enacting laws and ordinances that restrict employers from asking questions.

Abortion consent law

As of July 1, the law now requires a judge to inform parents if their child is seeking an abortion. The law was designed to make it more challenging for minors to get abortion without their parents' consent.

Guns for domestic abuse victims

Victims of domestic violence will be able to carry a handgun without a license for 60 days. This law only protects adults who hold a civil protection order against an individual.

ATV helmets

Anyone under the age of 18 must wear a helmet while riding or operating an off-road vehicle.

People who own ATVs are liable and if the law is violated, they can face a Class C infraction and a $500 fine if any child is found not wearing a helmet.

Drones

Drone users who interfere with law enforcement or use the drones for voyeurism or harassment will be fined and face jail time.

The General Assembly passed the bill that went into effect on July 1. The goal is to prevent crime aimed at sex offenders who may use drones inappropriately as well as prevent those from interfering with public safety officials like police and firefighters.

Under the new bill, a first violation of the law is a misdemeanor carrying a year in jail and a fine up to $5,000. A second violation can lead to a felony arrests.

Rescuing animals from cars

A person can now legally use reasonable force to rescue an endangered animal from a locked vehicle on a hot day without facing any criminal penalties. Police must be called first and the person has to remain at the scene with the animal until officers arrive.

While it may be legal, the person who saves the animal must still pay 50 percent of the damages to the vehicle unless the owner decides to pay the entire bill.

Fake urine ban

Even through it has been illegal to use fake urine on a drug test, that hasn't stopped all as it can be difficult to spot in tests.

Retailers are now prohibited from selling synthetic or adulterated urine. A first offense is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Roundabouts

Motorists in a roundabout have to yield the right-of-way to semi-trail trucks, buses and other large vehicles to reduce the risk of collision. 

Online tax 

A new law created this spring claims the state has a right to collect sales taxes from companies using only online transactions. 

Sanctuary campus 

Under the law, public and private universities and colleges to comply with the enforcement of federal immigration laws and are not allowed to identify as a "sanctuary campus."