Muncie animal shelter full again, offering adoption deals

<p>The Muncie Animal Care &amp; Services is at maximum capacity again. The shelter offers special adoption deals for the cats and dogs to find forever homes. <strong>Reagan Allen, DN File</strong></p>
<p><br></p>

The Muncie Animal Care & Services is at maximum capacity again. The shelter offers special adoption deals for the cats and dogs to find forever homes. Reagan Allen, DN File

Less than a month after Muncie Animal Care and Services emptied its shelter with $5 Adoption Day event, the shelter reached maximum capacity again. 

The capacity was reached after an influx of dogs were placed in the shelter.

"We have absolutely no kennels or runs open to house the growing number of dogs that we are currently caring for," Muncie Animal Care tweeted. "We have had to resort to setting up crates in our stock rooms to accommodate them. We have had several dogs surrendered to the shelter, and an even higher number of stray dogs that were never reclaimed by their owners."

The shelter is also continuing to take in "multiple litters of kittens and surrendered cats that fill up crates and cages faster than we can empty them."

Muncie Animal Care is currently offering $10 adoption fees for dogs and cats, and $35 for kittens.  

Potential adopters can participate in multiple programs offered by the shelter before making a decision on giving an animal a permanent home.

The shelter offers a Doggie Date Night program that allows community members to take a dog home for a few days to see how they acclimate to the new environment before committing to an adoption.

There is also a foster-to-adopt program for kittens that is designed to get the animals that are too young to be spayed or neutered into a home until they are old and weigh enough to do so, according to the Muncie Animal Care. This cuts down on illness for kittens who are more vulnerable to disease due to their fragile immune systems. 

All animals up for adoption are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and come with a free wellness exam with a veterinarian.