How to secure your home from burglars

<p>Students living <g style="background-color: initial; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">around</g> campus this summer might want to take some precautions before they go on summer vacation, internships or back home to prevent burglaries.&nbsp;<em>BREANNA DAUGHERTY // DN FILE</em></p>

Students living around campus this summer might want to take some precautions before they go on summer vacation, internships or back home to prevent burglaries. BREANNA DAUGHERTY // DN FILE

Students living around campus this summer might want to take some precautions before they go on summer vacation, internships or back home.

A spokesperson from Platinum Property Group LLC told the Daily News that two of their properties have been broken into since the spring semester has ended.

“The most recent one [the students] were gone, they’re coming [back] periodically, but no one was home and [someone] broke a window, came in and stole stuff,” the spokesperson from the real estate company said.

The real estate company sent an email to all its tenants located around campus after the students affected said that the police were aware of the issue.

"Generally we do see a spike in burglaries during the summer months when not many students are around campus,” said Captain Steve Cox of the Muncie Police Department.

MPD also sees an increase in burglaries during winter and spring breaks.

Cox said it's important for students to pay attention to what’s going on in their neighborhood and to know “what’s normal and what isn’t normal in their area."

His recommendation to students is to make sure porch lights are on, windows and doors are locked and to let neighbors know whenever they leave the house for periods of times.

University Police Department Chief Jim Duckham warned students who leave their residence for long periods of time to not leave their belongings in their home and put lights on timers so they automatically turn on at night.

He also encourages students to ask their landlords to cut the grass in the summer so the residence appears to be occupied, cancelling the mail and newspaper delivery so it doesn’t stack up and to keep in contact with neighbors so they can keep an eye on the residence.