RECAP: Ball State softball vs. Eastern Michigan

Junior pitcher Carolyn Wilmes pitches the ball during the game against Miami University on April 2 at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won 6-3 to complete the three-game sweep against the RedHawks. Emma Rogers // DN

With nine strikeouts on the day, Ball State softball junior right-handed pitcher Carolyn Wilmes helped Ball State defeat Eastern Michigan 8-0 in six innings.

Wilmes picked up her 12th win of the season and her fourth shutout victory of the season.

Ball State (26-19, 10-3 MAC) remained scoreless in the first two innings but exploded for four runs in the third. Senior outfielder Rachel Houck stole second base, followed by two Eastern Michigan throwing errors, allowing her to score. After junior infielder Danae King was walked, the bases were loaded for the Cardinals. Junior infielder Maddy Labrador was safe at home on a fielder's choice to second.

Sophomore catcher Olivia Huffman helped extend the lead with a two-out two-run double, allowing King and sophomore catcher Madison Lee to score.

Freshman infielder Janae Hogg ended the fourth, with the Eagles collecting the grounder and getting the force out at third. Eastern Michigan had a pair on base but failed to capitalize. The Eagles would get a little closer in the top of the fifth with a runner on third, but freshman infielder Kennedy Wynn's save bailed the Cardinals out.

Freshman outfielder Tara Morey entered the game to pinch run for Hopper who singled to the left side. Huffman homered to the left side, bringing in her and Morey. 

While Huffman got her second homer of the season, she said her and her teammates still have some things to work on for the next game.

"Always just focusing on the next pitch," Huffman said. "Really focusing to win that next pitch, the current batter, the current inning and not get too far ahead of ourselves."

Ball State had a pair of one-out base runners after Labrador was walked in the bottom of the sixth. A two-run double by Lee brought home Labrador and junior outfielder Cadie O'Donnell, upping the score to eight runs. The Cardinals out hit the Eagles 11 to 5.

Even with the win today, Huffman said the team needs to prepare themselves mentally for the games tomorrow.

"We can just prepare ourselves really well mentally and make sure that we had a good approach at the plate," Huffman said. "We can visualize that and make sure that's solid going into the game and trust our preparation."

Ball State will host Eastern Michigan again tomorrow for a double header scheduled for 1 p.m.