Ball State ROTC program ranked No. 1 in the nation

Members of Ball State's Army ROTC program present the flag on the field of Scheumann Stadium before the game against Northern Illinois on Oct. 1. Ball State lost 31-24. Grace Ramey // DN

Ball State’s Reserve Officer Training Corps program was ranked No. 1 in the nation by the Army National Guard.

The Army National Guard ranks ROTC programs by how many officers are commissioned into the Army National Guard after the program. Ball State had the most commissioned officers.

Lieutenant Colonel Kelly Rosenberger, a professor of military science, was an alumnus of the program and currently leads the Ball State ROTC.

“It’s a big deal,” Rosenberger said. “This is my last year and it’s amazing to see how the program’s changed.”

The ROTC program is also being recognized as No. 1 for this year’s Minuteman Scholarship Campaign in the five state brigade of 37 schools, and No. 2 in the nation.

Minuteman scholarships cover full four-year tuition, provide a textbook allowance and weekly stipend to students. Ball State’s ROTC was awarded 27 of these scholarships, which amounts to close to $1.1 million,  Rosenberger said.

Cagney Chentnik, a sophomore nursing major with a minor in military science, was awarded one of the Minuteman scholarships. She said it was an extensive process.

“You have to show that you have what it takes to be in the program,” Chentnik said. “It is hard to be in the program and balance school.”

Chentnik joined the ROTC program in order to become an officer in the Army National Guard. She said it feels good to be in the No. 1 ROTC in the nation.

“It feels like we have the best training, the best cadre around,” Chentnik said.“It feels good to know that when I go into the officers side and I commission, that I’ll have that experience and good knowledge and a good base to go back to.”