31st annual 'A Taste of Muncie' to showcase local, chain restaurants

<p>Cornerstone Center for the Arts will host&nbsp;the 31st annual Taste of Muncie event on Sunday. The event, which offers students, faculty and community members the opportunity to sample food from around Muncie,&nbsp;is Cornerstone's annual fundraiser. <strong>Cornerstone Center for the Arts Facebook, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Cornerstone Center for the Arts will host the 31st annual Taste of Muncie event on Sunday. The event, which offers students, faculty and community members the opportunity to sample food from around Muncie, is Cornerstone's annual fundraiser. Cornerstone Center for the Arts Facebook, Photo Courtesy

Students, faculty and community members looking to get a sampling of food from around Muncie can go to Cornerstone Center for the Arts Sunday for the 31st annual A Taste of Muncie event. 

The event has been at Cornerstone for the past 16 years and serves as an annual fundraiser for the center. Cornerstone serves more than 2,000 students in over 100 different arts classes for free or low cost.

“Cornerstone is an arts organization offering arts education to the community, so this is highlighting the culinary arts,” said Jeff Robinson, director of community relations for Cornerstone. “This year, we’ll have close to 25 restaurants and caterers that’ll be bringing their best dishes to feature.”

Chain restaurants like Texas Roadhouse and IHOP will compete alongside local restaurants and catering places such as Minnetrista, Mr. Mouse Catering and RP’s Pizza.

Before the main event, there is a VIP reception with a food and beer craft pairing. This year, Cornerstone’s staff paired up with New Corner Brewing Company and Guardian Brewing Co. to make their own beer, Cornerstone Wheat.

For the main event, attendees get a tray and have the opportunity to get samples of everything from each vendor. At the end, the Best of Taste of Muncie is named, along with winners in certain categories.

“Your tray is packed with food, you find a place to sit down and eat, and then everyone votes on their favorite [items],” Robinson said. “If it’s someone’s first time coming, they can expect a very fun and festive atmosphere.”

Karen Haskell is the manager of BerryWinkle Frozen Yogurt. This will be her first year participating in A Taste of Muncie. To prepare, she’s been researching, getting ideas and talking to her sales representative to help her know how much food to prepare.

“I’m extremely competitive, so I want to win, so I’ve got to have the best product there,” Haskell said. “I’ll have three different items [at the event].”

Haskell just took over management of BerryWinkle this month, and she is excited to continue going out into the community and getting opinions from businesses, residents and students on what products BerryWinkle should carry.

The VIP pre-event starts at 1 p.m. and costs $40. Advanced general admission tickets are $20 for adults or $15 for students with a Ball State ID. On the day of the event, tickets are $25 for adults and $20 for students.

Tickets can be purchased on Cornerstone’s Website, at Cornerstone’s second floor desk, Cheers restaurant and at PrimeTrust Federal Credit Union, if you are a member.