FBI serves search warrant at Muncie City Hall

<p>A paper sign outside of the building commissioner's office at Muncie City Hall on Jan. 5. The FBI conducted a search warrant, closing the office for the remainder of the day. <em>Tony Sandleben // Provided<br></em></p>

A paper sign outside of the building commissioner's office at Muncie City Hall on Jan. 5. The FBI conducted a search warrant, closing the office for the remainder of the day. Tony Sandleben // Provided

Video: Tony Sandleben, NewsLink Indiana

The FBI served a search warrant Jan. at the building commissioner's office at Muncie City Hall.

Mayor Dennis Tyler released a statement shortly after 10 a.m. confirming the FBI's search:

"The FBI is conducting a search of the Building Commissioner's office here at the City Hall this morning," Tyler said in a press release. "The City intends to cooperate fully in this investigation, and looks forward to a complete and early resolution of any issues."

Tyler was in his office that morning, but neither he nor his office were subjects of the search. Authorities have not provided details about the nature or scope of their investigation.

According to The Star Press, the FBI took nearly a dozen boxes of paperwork and a computer tower from City Hall, and both FBI investigators and Indiana State Police were spotted at the home of Building Commissioner Craig Nichols as well.

This story will be updated.