Some students choose to stay on campus during semester break

Most students only know Ball State and Muncie during the semester, but Studebaker East, which is typically where international students live on campus, stays open during breaks for students who live too far away to go home or have to work. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

For many students, the stress of finals week can be alleviated by eating home-baked goods and relaxing on their nicely worn-in couch at home during break. 

However, for about 30 students, that will not be the case this year. For these students, the lounges of Studebaker East will have to do for their holiday festivities.

“These students typically fall into two main categories,” said Matthew Kovach, assistant director of housing and residence life. “They are either international because it is not feasible for them to return home over break period, or they are student athletes.”

While school is not in session, student athletes still have practices and games they need to attend.

In addition to these groups, Kovach said there are a handful of others who stay because they live too far from home or they are employed locally and need to be closer to their job.

While these students stay in Studebaker East, they only occupy empty rooms so none of the students who are currently living there have to evacuate.

Because of this, there is limited space, so the decision on who gets to stay comes on a first-come, first-serve basis.

“We also try to figure out who really needs to stay here rather than wants to stay here,” Kovach said.

There is a $25 a night fee for students wanting to stay. The total cost for break is $550.

Students do not have to spend the entire break on campus if they choose to stay; however, they will have to pay the entirety of the break fee.

While Studebaker East will remain open for the entirety of break, the dining halls will not. This can present a potential problem for the students who wish to stay.

“The students that stay have a high propensity to cook in the lounges,” Kovach said. “It tends to be a communal thing.”

Kovach also said the meals can be a good way to spend some time together because there are no events planned by the residence hall.

Residence assistants and a hall director will also join students wishing to stay.

“We want people there to be able to respond to any concerns that might come up just like we would in the regular school year,” Kovach said.