FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Is 'Insecure' the new comedy we've been waiting for?

Lily Smitha is a freshman advertising major and writes "First Impressions" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Lily at lksmitha@bsu.edu.

Lily Smitha

HBO is decent when it comes to TV series, one of my favorites being "Game of Thrones." With that being said, I was pretty pumped up for its new comedy, "Insecure," after watching the trailer. I was needing more comedy relief considering "Grey’s Anatomy" has taken over my daily life.

Within the first five minutes, the mood was set for what the show would look like. The opening started out with some vulgar hip-hop and different views of the city that the show would be taking place in. The opening scene with the main character, Issa, had kids in a classroom asking inappropriate questions about her and her love and insulting her. Little kids insulting a grown 29-year-old woman is golden.

After that first five minutes, I was hooked, or at least I thought I was. The storyline is average due to the fact it is a pretty basic concept. The main character, Issa, just turned 29 in the pilot episode and she decides to spend her last year before 30 living life to its fullest. They idea was headed in the right direction but stopped when it stopped at average instead of going further into greatness.

Even with such a basic storyline, I did enjoy the main characters, Issa and her best friend. They were a perfect dynamic duo and held nothing back with each other, which created such chemistry between each other. The level of sass and loving insults between the two show their relationship in a different light than just your average everyday friendships. Even when one makes the other mad, at the end of the day they love each other just the same.

Issa herself is a well-developed character and has that adorable awkwardness to her that we all love to see in the dorky main character. She also has a sense of humor that makes you wish you could talk to her in person. Issa is sarcastic and blunt which gives her dorky, adorable character a little twist.

Would I Continue to Watch?: I would try it. I am slightly indifferent simply because of the average storyline but I enjoy Issa and what she brings to the show. The comedy is raunchy, like comedian Amy Schumer, so if you are into that, then this show is 100 percent for you. In my opinion, some parts of the show were a little much for me but aside from I enjoyed the characters. There were a couple giggles here and there.