Businesses, students run dry during water advisory

<p>The Cup closed&nbsp;on Nov. 15 as a result of a water boil order. Residents in the City of Muncie and on the Ball State campus were advised to avoid drinking water from the tap following a water valve malfunction.&nbsp;<em>Garrett Looker</em><i style="background-color: initial;">&nbsp;// DN</i></p>

The Cup closed on Nov. 15 as a result of a water boil order. Residents in the City of Muncie and on the Ball State campus were advised to avoid drinking water from the tap following a water valve malfunction. Garrett Looker // DN

Closed:

• The Cup
  • Sitara Indian Resturant
  • The Caffeinery
  • Savages Ale House

Students and local businesses adjusted to a water boil order for Nov. 15.

Ball State alert was issued around 11:30 p.m. the night before, and a brief announcement sounded through the dorms, warning students about the water.

“I actually found out because someone wrote it on the mirror in my bathroom and I got an email that I saw earlier this morning,” Anna Stone, a freshman telecommunications news major said.

Freshman secondary English education major Taylor Ramseyea also said she found out about the boil order from a Ball State email.

"I got an email last night, and then there were some pictures on Instagram that I saw,” Ramseyea said. "It wasn’t hard to figure out.”

Although boiling the tap water makes it potable, using bottled water was more accessible to Ball State students. During the time of the boil order, students could receive a bottle of water for free with the purchase of any meal at any dining location on the campus.

"An extra pallet of water was delivered to each dining unit in preparation for today's water needs," Erica Jefferis, Assistant Director of Personnel Training and Administration said. 

All dining units suspended the sale of coffee, fountain drinks and ice for the day, including Starbucks. The impact on both Jamba Juice and Starbucks did reduced sales, Jefferis said.

Ball State students were not the only Muncie residents who had to adjust; local businesses had to accommodate for the changes, as well.

Some locations, including Sitara Indian Restaurant, The Cup, The Caffeinery and Savages Ale House closed Tuesday. Others, including Be Here Now and Scotty's Brewhouse in the Village, cut off use of their soda machines.

The Downtown Farmstand, however, remained open for business. Owner Dave Ring said that the store had five gallons of bottled water on hand and had prepared soup in advance.

"It's not been a huge inconvenience," Ring said.

Two Cats Cafe advertised that they were open on social media, listing the drinks that were not made using tap water.

A spokesperson from Ball Memorial said that the boil order “has not impacted basic patient care." The hospital brought in bags of ice to make ice chips, and boiled water and used bottled water.

The Marsh store on McGalliard Road experienced a strain from the boil order, too. Around noon, a Marsh spokesperson said that the store was running low on gallons of water and ice, and the store was receiving a special delivery of ice from Home City Ice to meet needs. Marsh also discontinued use of the vegetable misters for the day, using manual spray bottles to keep produce fresh instead.

Editor's note: Email news@bsudailynews.com with other reports of local closings or information involving the water boil advisory.