Acting provost fighting infection in hospital

Robert Morris - Graduate School
Robert Morris - Graduate School

Robert Morris, acting provost, is fighting an infection at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, according to an email from Interim President Terry King.

"We don’t now know how long Bob will be absent from campus," King said in the email. "Knowing him, the doctors will have to exert strict controls to keep him from trying to work from his hospital bed."

Jason Ribblett, a professor of chemistry, said Morris — who was previously a professor and chair of the department — has stayed close with the faculty from his old department.

“We’re all really concerned," Ribblett said. “When we found out, we quickly wanted to learn more. We pretty much talk about him daily.”

Friends expressed concern, including Greg Pyle, a dentist who’s known Morris for nearly 40 years and considers him family.

“He's down to earth, very loyal and very trustworthy. Everything you would want in a friend. Always has been,” Pyle said.

Jagdish Khubchandani, a professor of health, said he’s had a close relationship with Morris since he’s been at the university, and after hearing about the provost’s condition, he’s expecting the best.

“I wish him and his family very well and know that he will fight back and be with us soon,” he said.

While Morris is stable and responding to treatment, King said the acting provost is unable to talk and cannot receive visitors. As a precaution, King said hospital staff will keep Morris in intensive care.

Marilyn Buck, senior associate provost and dean of University College, will fill in for Morris for the time being.

"I ask that you keep Bob and his family in your thoughts and prayers," King said. "Please do not send anything to the hospital, nor try to visit. Cards can be sent to the office of the provost."

King added that he would provide an update when one is available on Morris's condition, or if there are organizational changes in the provost's office.

As the acting provost, Morris is the chief academic officer. He also has the title of vice president for academic affairs and is responsible for overseeing all of the university’s academic colleges, plus the graduate school, University College and the Honors College.

Alan Hovorka, Sara Barker and Max Lewis also contributed to this article.