Cardinal Kitchen helps students, fosters community

When a Ball State student, graduate or undergraduate, goes to Cardinal Kitchen, they fill out a first-time client sheet and check off up to twelve food and/or hygiene items listed. If the party has the items, volunteers gather the items and hand them off free of charge. DN PHOTO SYDNEY MONTGOMERY

Items offered:

Canned fruit

Jelly/ jam

Peanut butter

Granola and breakfast bars

Nuts

Dried fruit

Cereal

Oatmeal 

Juice

Ramen noodles

Canned protein (beans or meat)

Macaroni and cheese

Pasta 

Pasta Sauce

Mashed potato mix

Spaghettios and Chef Boyardee items 

Canned vegetables

Soup

Fresh fruit

Fresh vegetables

Bread

Toiletries

information via the Ball State website

Volunteer information: 

Anyone who would like to volunteer can contact Marilyn Kinsey, the volunteer coordinator for more information. Contact the organization at bsucardinalkitchen@gmail.com

Cardinal Kitchen, which opened for the year in mid-September, will be open every Tuesday from 5 to 8 pm. 

Located in the Multicultural Center, Cardinal Kitchen aims to provide necessary items, such as food and toiletries, to students who don't have the means to get them. 

“The mission of the Cardinal Kitchen is to ensure that no Ball State student goes hungry on our campus,” said Jes Wade, Cardinal Kitchen's unit director, and a graduate student at Ball State. 

Madison Lyon, a junior English and Spanish major, is Cardinal Kitchen's executive director.

Lyon said that they will provide 12 non-perishable items per student, but will also have a number of perishables and toiletries available.

The pantry receives funding through the SGA and partners with the Second Harvest Food Bank of East Central Indiana. They also receive donations from various on-campus organizations.

“It’s very exciting to see people within the Ball State community getting involved with the Ball State community,” Lyon said.

The relationships built between those involved have made an impact on volunteers.

“I have gotten to build relationships with a lot of different people because of the Cardinal Kitchen, the clients, volunteers, and donors have impacted my life for the better,” Wade said.

Students who come into the Multicultural Center will be given intake forms to fill out and an inventory sheet on which they will mark the 12 items they want, then a volunteer will go upstairs and box up the items. All students are welcome to utilize Cardinal Kitchen's services.