Cardinals for Camo to host 1st annual 4k

<p>Cardinals for Camp, an organization at Ball State which benefits the Wounded Warrior's Project, will host a 4K for the Heroes race at the University Green on Sept. 24 at 9:30 a.m. The event will help raise awareness for the needs of wounded veterans and educate students on our troops.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Benny Link // Photo Courtesy</i><em>&nbsp;</em></p>

Cardinals for Camp, an organization at Ball State which benefits the Wounded Warrior's Project, will host a 4K for the Heroes race at the University Green on Sept. 24 at 9:30 a.m. The event will help raise awareness for the needs of wounded veterans and educate students on our troops. Benny Link // Photo Courtesy 

Cardinals for Camo will be hosting their first 4k to help and support those who have sacrificed their lives for our country. 

Cardinals for Camo is a service organization on Ball State's campus to promote, benefit and advocate for the Wounded Warrior Project. The Wounded Warrior Project is a non-profit organization that offers injured veterans many services. 

Not only does this run help raise awareness for the needs of wounded veterans and their families, but it also educates students on our troops. 

The 4K for the Heroes will take place on Sept. 24. Registration will begin at 9 a.m. while the race will begin promptly at 9:30 a.m.

Saturday's event will start and end at University Green near the Shafer Bell Tower. Throughout the course, there will be activities that allow participants to experience what it's like to go through physical training for a specific military branch. Each activity station will have water and facts about the troops. 

The cost to participate in the 4K for the Heroes is $13. According to Cardinals for Camo's official Facebook page, the cost covers a T-shirt and the rest of the proceeds will go to benefit Prisoners of War Missing in Action and help a local family in Muncie with a POW MIA family member.

"[We] are hoping to raise awareness of our current military and what they do for us," Kyleigh Mazer, CFC president said. "I'd really like to show participants and anyone involved that there are plenty of ways for us to give back to those in uniform and their families."

According to Cardinals for Camo's Facebook, this event was supposed to be held last spring, but due to other events occurring at the same time on campus, CFC had to reschedule their 4K for the fall semester. This event has been in the making since July. 

CFC is excited for the new year and is hoping for a great turnout of their first 4k. 

"We're going to hit the ground running this year and start preparing the minute we're back to school," Mazer said in a CFC Facebook post. "Whether you're participating in the 4K or wanting to help volunteer, we're excited and ready to have you!"